Freelancers Writing Contests
It was scary times.
I had invested a ton of time and a not-insubstantial sum to create a community for freelance writers who needed expert advice.
I hoped it would be a place where other writers would also come together to support their efforts to get better-paying work.
I didn’t see anything out there like what I envisioned and what I was hearing writers needed.
Was I crazy? Did anybody really want this?
My fantasy was that maybe, as the years rolled on, the Den would slowly catch on and grow to my maximum imaginable size of oh, maybe 500 members.
I thought that would be amazing!
Turns out there was a need for a learning community for freelance writers…and I wasn’t crazy.
Membership will top 500 this summer.
And it’s not just the unexpectedly fast growth and the size of the membership that makes me say, “Wow.”
It’s the success stories. The writer who pitched five blog post ideas after getting some Den support…and got them all assigned at pro rates (watch for his guest post in the coming months).
Answering serious writers’ questions — more than 3, 000 of them so far — and watching writers get it, and go right out and get hired, for living wage writing gigs.
Bottom line: The Other Den Mother — Linda Formichelli of The Renegade Writer blog — and I are thrilled beyond belief that we’ve been able to create something that’s so darn useful to freelance writers.
We want to say “thanks”…
To celebrate the Den’s 1-year anniversary, some new features are coming to the Den.
- First off is transcripts of all our live events going forward. We’ve been doing some, but now it’ll be standard. That’s a feature many writers asked me for, and now it’s here.
- Shortly, ebook versions of some of our bootcamps will be making their way into the Den as free member perks, too. (They’ll turn up on Amazon for nonmembers.)
- We’re also in the process of making the whole site mobile-enabled so events can be viewed from your smartphone.
- New and expanded orientation videos to make it easier for new members to get the most from the Den.
- As we expand, we will keep adding expertise. Recently, I brought John Soares of on as another expert in residence. Expect more announcements as we grow.
You might also like
Shandy Lawson talks Fiction Locker, a writing website for teens — Hypable
I can't answer as many of those questions as I'd like, so I thought if I put all of those answers in one place, along with stuff like regular flash fiction contests, writing prompts and featured columns by guest authors, I might be able to create a ..