Fiction Writing Contests for Young Writers
Looking for writing help, peer review, grammar tips or just a little bit of advice from the World Wide Web? Don't miss these 40 helpful websites for young writers.
View 11 Popular Schools »
- Syntaxis - Syntaxis allows you to test your knowledge of grammar with this ten-question quiz. The questions change every time you take the quiz so users are sure to be challenged each time around.
- AutoCrit - The AutoCrit Editing Wizard can check writing for grammar errors, clichés and other no-no's. AutoCrit also provides a number of other writing resources as well.
- Story Spinner Online - The Online Story Spinner from writing instructor Bonnie Neubauer offers millions of ideas to get people writing. When users click on the Story Spinner, they get a starting phrase, a setting and four words that must be included in the story.
- The Story Kitchen - This site starts a story for you using the elements you choose and then asks you to finish it. With a focus on youth-friendly protagonists like superheros and genius kids, Bruce Van Patter's Story Kitchen is excellent practice for young writers.
- Language Is a Virus - The automatic prompt generator on this site can provide writers with an endless number of creative writing prompts. Other resources include writing exercises and information on dozens of different authors.
- The Dabbling Mum - The Dabbling Mum is an interesting site that offers 30 days of prompts for fiction writers, nonfiction writers and pro writers. Writers are encouraged to pen a 500 to 1, 000 word piece with each prompt.
- Scholastic - If you are looking for a site that inspires and covers the basics of writing, Scholastic is the place to be. The site is great for kids and teachers.
- About Fiction Writing - The About.com Guide to Fiction Writing provides all sorts of creativity boosters for young writers. The site also offers advice for those who are new to fiction.
- Book-In-A-Week - The Book-In-A-Week website is for serious young writers who want a challenge. The writing community encourages creativity by asking members to write as much as possible the first week of every month.
You might also like
Laundromat owner gets six-figure surprise — WKYT
.. the best essay." Reed says he plans to use the money to pay off loans at his new location set to open up on East New Circle Road. "My intention from the first was, if I get $200,000 worth of equipment, and I budget for $100,000, I'm going to win ..
What to write for a young writers contest
You should pick a topic you are familiar with and feel comfortable writing about. Historical fiction, romance, mystery...whatever is most interesting to you and allows you to easily come up with a plot and characters. Good luck! !