Creative Writing Contests for cash
) is the belief that fiction can be a powerful tool for teaching scientific fact. If you’re a writer and you agree with me, enter this contest!
Submit any work of fiction (including, but not limited to, short stories, poetry, fables, and short graphic works/comics) that meets the following criteria:
- The work is suitable for a youth audience (grades 4-12)
- The work contains accurate scientific content
- The scientific content should feel entertaining but secretly be educational.
- The work should be between a few hundred and a few thousand words in length. Maximum length: 4, 000 words.
- If entry includes artwork, figures, or images they must be the original work of the contestant and must be submitted in digital format
Nonfiction entries are also permitted if the story is presented in a thrilling or entertaining style (for example, Richard Preston’s THE HOT ZONE).
ENTRY FEE: $5
PRIZES: (these are guaranteed minimums, prizes may be increased)
- 1st place: $100
- 2nd place: $50
- 3rd place: $25
Submissions will be accepted until
ScienceThrillers is looking for pieces that young people will enjoy reading and that convey some scientific truth or information along with the fun. The priority should be on entertainment, inasmuch as sticking education into a boring piece that nobody reads will not advance scientific literacy. Within the spectrum of entries that are entertaining, winners will be those that maximize the educational content while still being fun to read.